07 June 2008

Some thoughts on "Year Two"

Well, my second year of teaching is coming to an end. The students have graduated and all that's left is paperwork and packing. I'll be changing assignments -- yet again -- next year as I move to 7th grade Language Arts. As I get ready to spend the summer preparing for a new curriculum, new novels, etc. I thought I should make some final comments about this year.

1. I've learned that I need to e-mail messages to everyone, whether I've spoken to them in person or not. If I speak to someone in person and I have no "hardcopy" record of it, I learned this year that it could come down to my word versus theirs if they decide to accuse me of something. I won't say more than that, but I'm going to spend next year perfecting professional redundancy.

2. I'm finally learning how to manage grades, parents, behavior, etc. It's only taken two years, but I'm finally starting to get it. A little less pressure from higher up would have helped this year, since I'm still new and still learning, but that just comes with the job, I guess. Next year should be interesting, with three different preps and a new set of novels to teach. I suppose life would get boring if there was no change. Still, I'd like to do the same thing for at least 2-3 years so I can reflect on my teaching instead of always coming up with something new.

3. I'm going to SERIOUSLY tone down the amount of technology I try to use in class. This year I went a little nuts and got overwhelmed by the amount of new tech tools I was trying to use. Next year, I'll follow Thoreau's advice: "Simplify, simplify, simplify." Though I may be getting a Promethean or SMART board next year, I'm going to try and get back to basics with regard to tech in the classroom.

4. "No." I had to start toward the end of this year, but next year I will be working on my ability to say, "No." As a new teacher, I need to work on my teaching, not running a club or some other after-school activity. Again... back to basics.

5. I'm going to have more fun than I did this year. I love my job, but this year was NOT fun.

6. As much as possible, the school work is going to stay at school.

There it is... bring on Year Three.

No comments:

Post a Comment